ARCP Roles Defined

The Army Recovery Care Program uses some acronyms that may be new to Soldiers and their families. This reference sheet defines frequently used ARCP acronyms. Definitions were compiled based on the Army Recovery Care Program Regulation 40-58. Please visit to learn more.


Army Recovery Care Program

The ARCP transitions Soldiers, their families, and/or caregivers back to the force and/or to veteran status, through a comprehensive program of medical care, rehabilitation, professional development and achievement of personal goals. The ARCP used to be known as the Warrior Care and Transition Program.


Certified Occupational Therapist Assistant

A COTA contributes to the Career Domain of the Comprehensive Recovery Plan (CRP) scrimmage through providing goal setting training to Soldiers and their families.


Licensed Clinical Social Worker

A social worker who ensures behavioral health (BH) care is coordinated with the medical treatment plan and BH assets, and provides input into the CRP.


Lead Coordinator

An Interdisciplinary Team (IDT) member who, in addition to their primary role, assumes responsibility for the Lead Coordinator Checklist, facilitates communication and serves as the primary point of contact to the Soldier and family or caregiver, as well as the IDT.

Soldiers MEB Counsel

Soldiers Medical Evaluation Board Counsel

Licensed uniformed and civilian attorneys of the Army Judge Advocate General Corps who are specifically trained and certified to provide legal advice and representation to Soldiers in the Medical Evaluation Board and Physical Evaluation Board processes.


Soldier Recovery Unit Medical Provider

A medical provider assigned to the Soldier Recovery Unit (SRU) who lays the foundation and direction of the Soldier’s recovery care plan for the recovery care team. The SRU medical provider is separate from the Soldier’s PCM and oversees Soldier case management but does not deliver health care.


Occupational Therapist

A health professional who helps Soldiers return to their military roles and responsibilities or to civilian life by helping them to develop and regain skills or learn new strategies to allow success in all areas of their lives.


An Ombudsman investigates complaints and resolves issues with local agencies in addition to serving as an advocate for Soldiers and families faced with the complex, often overwhelming challenges related to health care and transition.


Physical Evaluation Board Liaison Officer

A PEBLO counsels Soldiers who are undergoing physical disability evaluations. The PEBLO provides Soldiers with authoritative and timely answers to their questions about the physical disability system and aids them in understanding their rights and entitlements.


Physical Therapist

A PT provides physical therapy, which encompasses physical, psychological, emotional, and social well-being. A PT diagnoses and manages movement dysfunction and enhances physical and functional abilities; restores, maintains and promotes optimal physical function, wellness, fitness and quality of life as it relates to movement and health; and prevents the onset, symptoms, and progression of impairments, functional limitations, and disabilities that may result from diseases, disorders, conditions or injuries. PTs direct and supervise PTAs.


Soldier Recovery Unit Nurse Case Manager

A registered nurse who works with the Soldier throughout his or her time at the SRU.

SRU Surgeon

Soldier Recovery Unit Surgeon

The primary lead for all medical management matters in the SRU, serves as the primary liaison with the designated medical treatment facility Triad of Leadership representative and other Health Readiness Platforms, and provides direct oversight to the SRU medical providers.


Transition Coordinator

A member of the SRU cadre focused on the career domain of the CRP.


Physical Therapy Assistant

A PTA works as part of a team to provide physical therapy services under the direction and supervision of the PT.


Primary Care Manage

Primary care managers are Defense Health Agency (DHA) physicians, nurse practitioners, and physician assistants to whom Soldiers are assigned at a DHA-funded medical treatment facility (MTF) or medical clinic.


Recovery Care Coordinator

Department of the Army Civilians or contractors that perform case management and provide individualized, local support and assistance for assigned and/or eligible Soldiers or veterans and their families or caregivers throughout the Soldier’s or veteran’s lifecycle from injury, to returning to duty, or to transition into the civilian community. RCCs used to be known as Army Wounded Warrior Advocates.

WCT is now ARCP.

New name. Same mission

For more information visit us at:
(877) 393 - 9053